These notes are extremely rough. They should not be relied on and require editing ASAP.
Columbus meets IndiansEdit
- Believed they could be taken advantage of easily.
- Colonization was attempted with them but never gained foothold.
- Mali lead power in Savannah, had important goods such as a spice, brass, gold.
- Kongo highly centralized.
- Demand for African Gold rose --> Rise in interest of exploration.
- Leonardo de Vinci
- Florence conflict over traditions, religion, monarchs
Religous Upheavel in EuropeEdit
- Excessive taxing + crowding in the England
- Crusades against Muslims
- Both sides attempted to conquer each other.
- Selling of indulgences caused an uproar --> Protestant Reformation takes effect.
- Minister Kaluin follows Martin and decides to flee to Switzerland.
- Counter Reformation then followed, shifted beliefs in some parts
Reformation in EnglandEdit
- Head of Church denied kings divorce, Henry (king) then gets mad and decides to make his own church
Portugal and the AtlanticEdit
- New triangle sail added as new tech along with new navigation instruments such as the Astrolab and Compass.
- Portugal developed a good amount of gold + trade with tech
- Slave trade flourishes.
- 10 - 15 slaves could amount for 1 Berber Horse.
- Slave trade became an obession, done with force.
- 12 Million Africas forcibly shipped.
To America and BeyondEdit
- Europe could go to Asia via Direct Route West.
- Columbus was shunted for past failures (not being able to find a good source of Gold in America) and eventually died.
- Spain signs a treaty with Portugal for territory.
- England decides to send their own explorer (Cabot) to go around the World.
- Columbus was cruel, used natives for forced labor.
- Disease killed natives mostly.
- Blacks were exploited more than average natives, forced very serious and strenous labor.
Cortes and MexicoEdit
- Cortes went on mission into Mexico for discovering luxuries.
- Was stunned by the sheer wealth of the Aztecs.
- Raided them and stole
- Banded with other native tribes to help defeat others.
- Sometimes traded horses for other valuables (also guns)
- Mexico's population of rouhly 13 - 25 million falls to 700,000 (mostly from disease)
- Smallpox was the worst case disease for natives.
- Spain sucumbed to gold and funded to much into exploration trips (such as Cortes etc.) This led spain into debt.
- Spain funded more expeditions but most ended in failure.
- Spain establishes outpost in Flordia. St. Augustine
France and CanadaEdit
- French explorer Verazano is tasked to find a passage into Pacific.
- French failed at colonizing.
- Have lucrative trade of animal furs and pelts with Native Americans.
- France establishes relations with Indians near Lake Champlain. Thus, French had very good relations with natives.
England + AtlanticEdit
- England promoted pirates to attack Spanish ships.
- Spain and England try to outclaim and outcolonize each other in America.
- England signs truce with Spain (1604)
- Colonists waged a war against Powhatatu
- Jamestown is made but colonists have trouble with food and many are killed off during Winter.
- Tobacco is the prime cash crop of colonists in America. Motivated them as well.
- Corruption and overcharging was an issue among colonists.
- John Smith gives New England it's name.
- Epedemic among natives on the coast kills about 90% of them.
- Mayflower comes and makes Plymouth
- Plymouth becomes self suffecient.