Outline - (Mr. Bowman went over at study night)Edit
Reasons for industrial expansion.
Benefits American people?
Social and economic problems.
- New Technology
- Mass production
- Build on each other.
- New transportation – Easy to ship.
- Food is refrigerated. (Beef, tropical fruit)
- New power means mass production
- Electricity extends workday
- Inexpensive, easy to produce, unskilled
- Spread of info.
- Cheaper products.
- Don’t need to produce own stuff.
- Ease of getting stuff. (Sears and Roebuck: Mail order department store. Order from catalog instead of going to store.)
- Leisure time!
- Consumerism and consumer goods.
- Social and economic problems.
- Labor problems
- Growing gap between the rich and the poor.
- Corruption in politics and business.